Wednesday, May 24, 2017

English River by Thomas Nye Book Review



Autumn is beautiful on an Amish farm. Living among his Amish relatives, Lenny experiences a peace and tranquility that floods his soul. Friends and neighbors share a gentle wisdom through their actions more than with words. The dark swirling waters of the English River flow through woods just beyond Uncle Noey’s farm, stirring up questions in Lenny’s heart. Could it be that falling into those turbulent waters will help him understand himself and find answers for his future? Unfortunately, his plunge into deep water creates a ripple effect for everyone he loves.

About the Author

 

Thomas Nye moved to a rural community in Iowa when he was nineteen. His first acquaintances happened to be an Amish family, and they took him to visit Amish Church, Singings and Volleyball games. Over the past two decades, he has owned draft horses, which were acquired from local Amish farmers. Through these neighbors, he learned to work with horses in harness. Almost a time-traveler, Thomas visits the 1800's when with his Amish neighbors; returning to the modern world when at work as a letter carrier in Iowa City, Iowa. A natural-born story teller, he intertwines his own life experiences into his writing.

My thoughts:

This is the third book in the Amish Horses Series. This book could be read as a standalone book. I would recommend reading the first two books in the series so you can really get the depth of the characters.

Thomas Nye really knows how to bring out the characters. They are so vivid in your mind you can imagine yourself in the midst of the story. You can’t help to feel the emotions when they laugh, are sad, and rejoice.

The first part of the book is a bit slow with Lenny working on the farm and spending time with his horse. Regardless, I love the details. Once I got pass that portion of the story I had a hard time putting the book down.

Lenny has choices to make. Those decisions will affect the outcome of his future. He has to decide whether to stay among the Amish or go back to his life in the modern world.

I’m not going to give away the story. I love that Thomas Nye writes different than other in the Amish genre. It’s like a breath of fresh air and he does a wonderful job. I look forward to more books from Thomas Nye in the future.

I received this book free from the publisher through the BookCrash.com book review program, which requires an honest, though not necessarily positive, review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.  



1 comment:

  1. Hello Renee, thank you so much for taking the time to review English River. Every time I hear someone say that they enjoy my writing I feel a renewed passion to move forward on the next project! Lovely blog, wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thank you for visiting my blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

visitors

Stats

Protected by Copyscape Web Plagiarism Detection

Total Pageviews

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP