Thursday, October 25, 2012

Constellation Viewer Craft

Awhile back we read, "Follow the Drinking Gourd" by Jeanette Winter. This story was written in 1928 and is about peg-leg sailor who aids slaves on their escape on the Underground Railroad. While working for plantation owners, Peg Leg Joe teaches the slaves a song about the drinking gourd (the Big Dipper). A couple, and their family make their escape by following the song's directions.

I seen this craft on Pinterest, which is an amazing resource for homeschooling crafts, lessons, and everything else! ANYWAYS I am getting off track! When I seen this constellation viewer craft and  knew I wanted to do it with this wonderful book.
 The kids loved this craft.
Bug even forgot about insects for awhile!


Supplies needed:
Pringle Can
Metal brads
Black Construction Paper
Light weight cardboard(Cereal box works well)
Tack
Tape
Star Stickers
Something sharp to punch a hole in the bottom of the can. I used a nail punch
Scissors to put slits in the Pringles lid to put the metal brads into

You are going to have to prepare most of this if you have younger kids

I used a tack to punch the holes in the constellations. These store nicely in the Pringles can. I put them in a sandwich baggie to help out those little hands and they don't need to stick their hands all the way in the can.
 Make sure you punch your hole from the outside so no little fingers get cut
Then have fun letting the kids decorate the can with stickers and crayons. The kids have taken them outside to see what they can find among the stars.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! Thank you for sharing. My boys love looking at stars and I have been looking for a printout to teach them the constellations. This is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun craft. I am putting this on this list of things to do this summer so we can practice inside and know what to look for outside.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thank you for visiting my blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

visitors

Stats

Protected by Copyscape Web Plagiarism Detection

Total Pageviews

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP