Thursday, May 29, 2014

My First Sting As a Beekeeper

Ouch! I think I made the new beehive quite mad this morning. I deserved it. That's what I get for going into the hive at 6:30 AM trying to put a baggie of sugar water in the top feeder. I was in shorts and a tank top.

I have done it with the old hive but, this new one seems to be more on the alert. I wouldn't say aggressive but, they let you know if you are too close to their space. 
I am surprised I got away with only one sting. I high tailed it out of the garden area with one in my hair and went over to the play set. She was stuck in my hair and I was able to use my fingers and comb her out. It seemed like it took forever to get her out. All I could hear was this loud buzzing. I thought for sure I was going to get stung in the face or head. Then when she was out I waited a second and heading back over there. Duh!!!! One came up and got me. I'm stubborn and takes me learning the hard way.  I went inside and suited up and put the sugar water in the top feeder. 

I don't know if it was just too early for this hive for me to be knocking on their door. Lesson learned the hard way. This new hive came with a bit more honey stored up already in the nuc.

 Both hives are looking good and they are protecting what is theirs. I think I will start suiting up to put in any sugar water from now on.

1 comment:

  1. Ouch! I hope the honey makes it worthwhile and there are very few stings.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thank you for visiting my blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

visitors

Stats

Protected by Copyscape Web Plagiarism Detection

Total Pageviews

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP